Recognized Leelanau County Historic Sites
In 2019, LCHPS produced the book Historic Leelanau: Recognized Places and Sites of Historic Significance together with authors Byron and Wilson who donated their research and royalties. The book design and printing costs were underwritten by the nonprofit Leelanau Press. All sales from the book ($6,000) have been placed in a restricted historic preservation fund that has paid all the costs of the Poor Farm Michigan Historical Marker and will underwrite future preservation work.
- With books in hand during the summer of 2019, Byron and Wilson of Vintage Views held educational events and presented thier research about historic sites throughout Leelanau County. These authors’ enthusiasm for keeping history alive through engaging residents and visitors in learning about these significant structures helps build the county’s cultural tourism (responsible for 25% of all tourism in the county). They made eight presentations in our region at:
- Leelanau Historical Museum,
- Omena Historical Society.
- A joint program with Empire Historical Museum and Glen Lake Community Library.
- Cottage Book Shop.
- Horizon Book Store.
- Leelanau Books.
- Woolsey Airport Fly-in.
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore’s Port Oneida Fair.