Home » Consultations » Copemish Depot
Sometimes just being in the right place at the right time, puts one in the position of being an intermediary between two parties. LCHPS happened to know the Copemish Railroad Depot, built in 1898, had been moved by Phil and Donna Burgan, owners of Wildflowers in Glen Arbor, in the 1960s. When the property was sold in 2020, the depot was purchased by an individual planning to move it and convert it into a residence. The owner consulted with us regarding a building mover and contractor. LCHPS offered to assist her compliance with a historic structure status and the county building codes. Later we were contacted by Benzie Historical Society regarding its interest in obtaining the depot to return it to its Benzie County place of origin at the Thompsonville Diamond Crossing. We put the two parties in touch with each other. Steve Stier and Barbara Siepker accompanied the museum team’s visit and discussion on site. Although not known how this will resolve itself, we are confident that our main motivation in preserving this historic structure will be accomplished.